Sunday, April 20, 2008

Living a Light Green Life

by Samantha Harris
blogs at Real Working Mom

I guess I am green……one would think by my mid 30’s I would have this figured out. There are many things that I know I am…..I’m a mother, I’m a step mother, I’m a wife, I’m half Korean, I’m strong, I’m stubborn…..but am I green?

I know I didn’t start out that way. I can remember being 16 and getting my drivers license back in 1980 something and gas was 89 cents a gallon. My friends and I would put $5 in the gas tank and drive around all night long. No particular place to go…..just driving around. I also had a habit of driving with the air conditioner on and the windows down because we all knew that you looked prettier with your hair blowing in the wind, but of course I didn’t want to get hot when it was 95 degree’s and humid. Could you imagine doing that today?

Fast forward my life 20 years and now my husband is about to buy a Honda Civic Hybrid car, every light bulb in my house is energy efficient…..which by the way I have discovered is fantastic at 5:15 in the morning when I am feeling my way to the shower. I flip the lights on and they take a minute to warm up, so much better than full blast.

But I digress……I pay for curb side recycling, I have energy efficient appliances, I turn my thermostat up or down (depending on the season) when we are all at school or work, I use reusable bags at the grocery store and I am helping to implement a recycling program at my son’s preschool.

Everyday I wonder, is it enough? So I guess at the end of the day I would consider myself a light shade of green with work still to be done.

[Visit Real Working Mom now.]

0 comments: